Secret Address: Coco Rocha's Vancouver

by Bianca Posterli

Coco Rocha grew up in Vancouver, but her mother just moved to a new apartment in the city. In between her travels for work, she makes time to visit home and a few of her favorite places. “My mom just moved last year. I don’t have my own room and all of my things are all in boxes somewhere else! But her apartment is the only place I stay when I’m here. I like everything to be homey, with home-cooked meals and Mommy there to take care of me.”

EAT

Bridges
Bridges is one of Coco’s favorite places to get seafood on Granville Island. In a cute little community under one of the main bridges, it has amazing views of the harbor and the city. “I usually get the salmon. There’s nothing better than fresh seafood from local fisherman.”
1696 Duranleau Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6H 3S4
604.687.4400

CULTURE FIX

Stanley Park
Coco gets really outdoorsy in the summertime and likes to go running in Stanley Park once or twice a week. Circling the forest, you see all the beauty Vancouver has to offer. “It’s a great peaceful run I like to do. You come to Vancouver and you’re in nature.”
North foot of Georgia Street

Vancouver Aquarium (in Stanley Park)
If going for a run isn’t your style, you should still venture through the park to visit the aquarium.
845 Avison Way
Vancouver, B.C.?V6G 3E2
604.659.3474

Granville Island
“When I was little, I remember visiting and there were people making totem poles, and I just sat there and watched. You’re sure to see people drawing, singers, dancers… I seem to find myself there a lot.” For anyone who comes to Vancouver, according to Coco, visiting Granville Island is a must.

The Richmond Night Market
The summer Night Market in Richmond is another must on Coco’s list. “It brings culture to the area. It’s a really fun experience.”
Fridays and Saturdays 7 p.m. to midnight, Sundays 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
12631 Vulcan Way, Richmond (north of the intersection of Bridgeport Road and Sweden Way)

SHOPPING

Downtown’s Robson Street is where a lot of the high-class clothing stores are, as well as some cute boutiques. But if you’re into vintage like Coco, make sure to take a stroll down Main Street. “They’re not the classiest places, but there are a few stores that I find myself visiting again and again.”
Burcu’s Angels 
2535 Main Street
Vancouver, B.C.

Legends 
4366 Main Street
Vancouver, B.C.
604.875.0621

Barefoot Contessa
3715 Main Street
Vancouver, B.C.
604.879.1137

Echo Unique Resale
3288 Main Street
Vancouver, B.C.
604.874.5550

Eugene Choo
3683 Main Street
Vancouver, B.C.
604.873.8874

Lines
3793 Main Street
Vancouver, B.C.
604.871.0998

NIGHTLIFE

Top of Vancouver
The Top of Vancouver is a revolving restaurant on the top floor of Vancouver’s tallest building, making complete rotations hourly. Diners take in the most incredible views of the city, mountains, and ocean. “It’s really beautiful to see all the lights of the boats on the water at night.”
555 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, B.C.
604.669.2220

TAKE HOME

Maple Syrup
The Canadian treasure, of course! “My aunt lives in Edmonton so she always brings some home with her whenever she comes to visit.”

Poutines
Though you can’t really take it home, Coco insists that anyone who visits Vancouver must try Poutines, which are virtually french fries with cheese curds covered in gravy. “You have to at least try it once.”

Tim Hortons Coffee
When she’s visiting, Coco likes to stock up on Tim Hortons coffee. “It’s like a cross between Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks. I grew up with it, so it reminds me of home.”